Eastern District Honor Award
The Eastern District Honor Award is the highest award the district bestows upon a member. It represents professionalism, dedication, character, and service. To achieve this level of distinction is a testimony to one's career and involvement.
SHAPE America Membership: The nominee shall
have been a member of SHAPE America for a minimum of 10 years, including
the year he/she is considered for the award. Former SHAPE America members
who have retired from the profession are exempt from this requirement.
- Education: A bachelor's and master's degree are preferred, or substantial evidence of continued professional development in the fields of health, physical education, recreation or dance.
- Character: Ethical behavior consistent with the accepted ideals of the profession.
- Service: Contributions made primarily through professional associations at the state, district or national levels, with evidence of leadership in a least five (5) of the following categories:
- president or vice president of a SHAPE America district
- president or member of a SHAPE America council
- member of SHAPE America Board of Directors
- president or officer of a state association
- chair or member of at least three committees or program sections at state, district or national level
- president, officer or chair of organization in the profession
- community or professional service relating to the profession
- committee membership or leadership of note at place of employment
- presentations, workshops or addresses before educational and/or civic groups in health, physical education, recreation or dance given in person, via radio, television or the Internet
- evidence of published research or professional articles or book chapters in health, physical education, recreation or dance
- author or co-author of one or more professional books
- recipient of other professional honors
- outstanding original contribution or unusual service to the profession which has affected its philosophy or practices, not included in the above categories
- Application form, support letters and a photo must be submitted electronically by October 1 to the person listed below.
- States or individuals may nominate candidates and submit to:
Deadline: October 1