Recreation Professional/Leisure Educator of the Year Award
The Recreation Professional/Leisure Educator of the Year Award provides the means through which Midwest District recognizes the work of an individual who exhibits outstanding and creative leadership in the recreation profession or as an innovative leisure educator at the college/university level.
- Candidates shall be a current member SHAPE America.
- Candidates shall be persons who have exhibited outstanding and creative leadership in the recreation profession or as an innovative leisure educator at the college/university level.
- Candidates should be either currently involved in recreation leadership pursuits or as illustrated by having:
- Delivered speeches, presentations, consultations and/or demonstrations at workshops and/or conferences,
- Made a significant contribution in the area of recreation/leisure in various areas such as publications and service at the national, district and/or state level, and
- Demonstrated a vitality of contemporary and future-centered leisure thought and theory.
All applicants must submit six typed and complete applications to the chair of the Midwest District Recognition and Awards Committee by August 15.
Application materials should include:
- Awards application cover sheet
- Written documentation demonstrating compliance with the award qualifications as it applies to his/her situation (resumes or vitae not accepted), and
- A current letter of recommendation from applicant’s administrator or colleague. The letter should be directly related to the award qualifications, providing a biographical sketch outlining the contributions of the applicant and how these contributions are deserving of recognition.
Selection and Recognition Process
The Midwest District Recognition and Awards Committee will select one Recreation Professional/Leisure Educator of the Year Award recipient from the applications and present the nominee to the Midwest District Leadership Council for approval. The recipient will be notified by October 1 (or immediately following the Midwest District Fall Leadership Conference) and presented with the award at his/her state conference.
Please do not hesitate to contact the chair of your state or Midwest Awards Committee if you have any questions.