Recreation Professional/Leisure Educator of the Year Award
The Recreation Professional/Leisure Educator of the Year Award recognizes the work of an individual who exhibits outstanding and creative leadership in the recreation profession or as an innovative leisure educator at the college/university level.
Candidates shall be a current member SHAPE America and shall have exhibited outstanding and creative leadership in the recreation profession or as an innovative leisure educator at the college/university level.
Candidates should be either currently involved in recreation leadership pursuits or as illustrated by having:
- Delivered speeches, presentations, consultations and/or demonstrations at workshops and/or conferences;
- Made a significant contribution in the area of recreation/leisure in various areas such as publications and service at the national, district and/or state level; and
- Demonstrated a vitality of contemporary and future-centered leisure thought and theory.
All applicants must submit the following application materials by September 15 to Marilyn Buck, Midwest District Awards Committee Chair:
- Awards application cover sheet;
- Written documentation demonstrating compliance with the award qualifications as it applies to his/her situation (resumes or vitae not accepted); and
- A current letter of recommendation from applicant’s administrator or colleague. The letter should be directly related to the award qualifications, providing a biographical sketch outlining the contributions of the applicant and how these contributions are deserving of recognition.
Selection and Recognition Process
The Midwest District Awards Committee will select one Recreation Professional/Leisure Educator of the Year Award recipient from the applications and present the nominee to the Midwest District Leadership Council for approval. The recipient will be notified by October 1 and presented with the award at his/her state conference.
Questions? Contact Marilyn Buck, Midwest District Awards Committee chair.