Meritorious Service Award
The Meritorious Service Award recognizes an individual who has demonstrated distinguished service to health, physical education, recreation, dance and/or sport. Recipients are persons of personal integrity who exemplify the spirit of devoted service to the profession.
Candidates shall have maintained membership for a minimum of five years in SHAPE America, been involved in the profession for 10 or more years, and displayed distinctive leadership and service to Midwest District.
The following are some illustrations of meritorious service. It is not expected that all candidates will have contributed in all illustrated areas.
- Contributor of workshops, clinics, conferences or convention programs as organizer, presenter or presider for Midwest District in the areas of health, physical education, recreation and dance;
- Leadership and industry as an office holder and/or committee chair of Midwest District;
- Contributor as a member of a committee or council of Midwest District;
- Leadership in areas which promote the importance and contributions of Midwest District to State Affiliates and SHAPE America;
- Contributor to SHAPE America as a representative of Midwest District.
All applicants must submit the following application materials by September 15 to Marilyn Buck, Midwest District Awards Committee Chair:
- Award application cover sheet;
- Written documentation demonstrating compliance with the award qualifications (resumes or vitae not accepted); and
- A current letter of recommendation from applicant’s administrator or colleague. The letter should be directly related to the award qualifications, providing a biographical sketch outlining the contributions of the applicant and how those contributions are deserving of recognition.
Selection and Recognition Process
The Awards Committee will select one Meritorious Service Award recipient from the applications and present the nominee to the Midwest District Leadership Council for approval. The recipient will be notified by October 1 and presented with the award at his/her State Affiliate Conference.
The Meritorious Service Award recipient is encouraged to complete either a SHAPE America Honor Award or R. Tait McKenzie Award application (including letters of recommendation and a publicity form) by the national deadline of October 15. These awards reflect honor and service to the profession within or outside the organization.
Questions? Contact Marilyn Buck, Midwest District Awards Committee Chair.