Outstanding Student Award
The Outstanding Student Award recognizes an undergraduate student who has displayed distinctive leadership and meritorious service to his/her profession of health, physical education, recreation, dance and/or sport.
Candidates shall be a current member of SHAPE America and shall be a current member of the state affiliate for the state in which they attend a college or university.
Candidates shall have declared an undergraduate major in health, physical education, recreation, dance and/or sport or be currently enrolled in a professional preparation curriculum in content areas included as a part of the divisional structure of Midwest District, and be attending a college or university in Midwest District at the time of application for the award.
Candidates shall be recommended for award consideration by one of their college or university instructors and shall display distinctive leadership and meritorious service to their profession.Examples of types of meritorious contribution are as follows:
- Serves as a positive role model epitomizing personal health and enjoyment of physical activity;
- Displays distinctive leadership to the profession (i.e., college or university student organization, state affiliate activities);
- Exhibits meritorious service to the profession (i.e., community, college or university, state affiliate); and
- Participates in professional development opportunities (i.e., attends and/or presents at meetings, workshops, conferences, etc.).
All applicants must submit the following application materials by September 15 to Marilyn Buck, Midwest District Awards Committee Chair:
- Award application cover sheet;
- Written documentation demonstrating compliance with the award qualifications (resumes not accepted); and
- A current letter of recommendation from one of the applicant’s college/university instructors. The letter should be directly related to the award qualifications, providing a biographical sketch outlining the contributions of the applicant and how those contributions are deserving of recognition.
Selection and Recognition Process
The Midwest District Awards Committee will select one Outstanding Student Award recipient from the applications and present the nominee to the Midwest District Leadership Council for approval. The recipient will be notified by October 1 and presented with the award at his/her state affiliate conference.
The Outstanding Student Award recipient is encouraged to complete a SHAPE America Ruth Abernathy Presidential Scholarship application (including letters of recommendation and a publicity form) by the national deadline of October 15.
Questions? Contact Marilyn Buck, Midwest District Awards Committee Chair.