Young Professional Award
The Young Professional Award provides the means through which Midwest District recognizes a younger member who has demonstrated outstanding potential in teaching, scholarship and service. The recipient shall have demonstrated a quality of performance that, if continued, indicates he/she will develop into a distinguished member of the profession.
- Candidates shall have maintained membership for a minimum of five (5) years with SHAPE America.
- Candidates shall have been in the profession for no more than ten (10) years.
- Candidates shall be persons who have exhibited a devotion to the advancement of health, physical education, recreation and dance or in content areas included as a part of the divisional structure of Midwest District.
- Candidates shall display service to the profession. The following are some illustrations of contributions and it is expected that applicants will have contributed in at least two of the following areas.
Teaching (also includes Coaching, Performing, Supervising and Directing)
- A contributor to clinics, workshops and state or local health, physical education, recreation and dance conferences.
- Promoter of programs in any of the various areas of health, physical education, recreation and/or dance at any educational level.
- A contributor to the profession whose work has affected its philosophy or practice.
- Demonstrator of effective teaching or athletic coaching.
- Systematic researcher, which has helped to advance the profession.
- Author of journal articles on the subject of health, physical education, recreation and/or dance.
- Creator of productions in dance, synchronized swimming, etc.
- Recipient of scholarships, fellowships, grant monies, or monetary awards.
- Office holder or committee worker of SHAPE America, Midwest District, state affiliate, and/or affiliated organizations.
- Speaker or clinician before educational groups, at conventions, assemblies and meetings held in the interest and for the promotion of health, physical education, recreation and dance.
All applicants must submit six typed and complete applications to the chair of the Midwest District Recognition and Awards Committee by August 15. Application materials should include:
- Award application cover sheet
- Written documentation demonstrating compliance with the award qualifications (resumes or vitae not accepted), and
- A current letter of recommendation from applicant’s administrator or colleague. The letter should be directly related to the award qualifications, providing a biographical sketch outlining the contributions of the applicant and how those contributions are deserving of recognition.
Selection and Recognition Process
The Midwest District Recognition and Awards Committee will select one Young Professional Award recipient from the applications and present the nominee to the Midwest District Leadership Council for approval. The recipient will be notified by October 1 (or immediately following the Midwest District Fall Leadership Conference) and presented with the award at his/her state affiliate conference.
The Midwest Young Professional Award recipient is encouraged to complete a SHAPE America Mabel Lee Award application (including letters of recommendation from SHAPE America members and a publicity form) by October 15. The Mabel Lee Award materials should be sent to the Recognition Awards Committee, SHAPE America, 1900 Association Drive, Reston, VA 20191, for national consideration.
Please do not hesitate to contact the chair of your state or Midwest Awards Committee if you have any questions.