About Southwest District
The Southwest District of SHAPE America is dedicated to promoting school and community programs of Health Education, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance which embody such opportunities as self-realization and desirable human relationships and ensure the inclusion of programs within the best philosophical, social and educational contexts of American life.
- Professional growth and development - to support, encourage and provide guidance in the development and conduct of programs in health, leisure and movement-related activities which are based upon the needs, interests and inherent capacities of the individual in today's society.
- Communication - to facilitate public and professional understanding and appreciation of the importance and value of health, leisure, and movement-related activities as they contribute toward human well being.
- Research - to encourage and facilitate research which will enrich the depth and scope of health, leisure and movement-related activities; and to disseminate the findings to the profession and other interested and concerned publics.
- Standards and guidelines - to further the continuous development and evaluation of standards and/or guidelines within the profession for personnel and programs in health, leisure and movement-related activities.
- Public affairs - to coordinate and administer a planned program of professional, public and governmental relations that will improve education in the areas of health, leisure and movement-related activities.