Southwest District Convention
Coordinated School Health & Physical Activity Programs: A Key to the Nation's Future
June 9-12, 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada
Keynote Presentations at the 2014 Southwest District SHAPE America Convention
- Coordinated Health and Physical Education: A Key to Obesity Prevention
Susan Scott, MD, JD, Professor Emerita of Pediatrics, University of New Mexico School of Medicine Learn more...
- Building a Healthier Tomorrow: The power of prevention to create a world with more birthdays
John R. Seffrin, Ph.D., CEO of the American Cancer Society Learn more...
- Download the Convention Program
- Plenary speaker: Dr. John Seffrin, Executive Vice President (EVP) of the American Cancer Society (ACS) will be our first plenary speaker for the conference. Dr. Seffrin is the first non-physician to be selected to be the EVP of ACS. Prior to being named the American Cancer Society's top staff executive, Dr. Seffrin served at Indiana University as professor of health education and chairman of the Department of Applied Health Science.
- Pre-convention workshops on Monday, June 9th
Physical Activity Leader (PAL) Training - As the professional development resource within Let's Move! Active Schools, the Physical Activity Leader (PAL) Learning System is designed to develop and support individuals who will champion an effort in their local schools/school district to ensure 60 minutes a day of physical activity for all school-age youth. The 12 month PAL learning system is a dynamic, action-focused initiative beginning with this one-day in person training and resulting in skilled individuals who will initiate tailored plans of action in their respective school settings. The PAL learning system is provided at no cost to those who are willing to be champions.
Essentials of the Presidential Youth Fitness Program (PYFP) - This free, full-day workshop will give you everything you need to know about PYFP, a national model for fitness education. PYFP includes a health-related fitness assessment and educational and motivational tools to support educators and empower students to adopt an active lifestyle. From this work shop you'll be able to integrate the program with your current physical education program, to assess, track and award youth fitness and physical activity.