Southwest District Scholar Award
The Southwest District is accepting nominations for the 2014 Southwest District Scholar Award. The purpose of the award is to recognize an individual who has enriched the depth and scope of health, leisure, sport and movement related activities by generating and disseminating significant scholarly findings to the field and the public.
Who is eligible?
Any professional who has been a member of SHAPE America for three consecutive years at time of nomination, and is active in the Southwest District is eligible for nomination.
What criteria will be used to select the Southwest District Scholar?
- The nominee must be recognized as a leading scholar in his/her discipline.
- The nominee must be judged as being innovative and as having an impact on his/her field.
- The nominee's work must have been subjected to critical review by other scholars in his/her field.
- The nominee's scholarship must be judged in terms of quality and not just quantity.
- The nominee must show a consistent and sustained scholarly record.
- The nominee must have served and contributed to the goals and purposes of the Southwest District.
Who can nominate?
Any member of Southwest District can nominate a candidate for the award. Self-nominations will also be accepted.
When will the award be announced?
The 2014 Scholar Award will be announced during the 2014 Southwest District Conference, June 9–12 in Las Vegas, NV.
When are nominations due?
February 15, 2014
What is the nomination process?
If you wish to nominate someone, please submit a) a formal letter of nomination that includes the nominee's name, affiliation, and contact information, and also addresses the selection criteria listed above; and b) an up-to-date copy of the nominee's curriculum vitae. Submit the nomination letter to:
Hans van der Mars
VP of Research, SWD
Arizona State University-Polytechnic Campus
Mary Lou Fulton Teachers College
7271 E. Sonoran Arroyo Mall
Santa Catalina Hall, Room 330-S
Mesa, AZ 85212