|Go To||Home | Teachers | Administrators | Professors | Future Professionals | Parents | Coaches|
Adapted Physical Education
Adapted physical education is physical education that has been modified so it is appropriate for students with disabilities. Under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA, 2004), all students with an Individualized Education Program (IEP) should receive effective physical education services.
SHAPE America recommends that an adapted physical education specialist provide the instruction and/or consultative support to the general physical education teacher for a student's IEP.
- Find adapted program ideas for Jump Rope For Heart/Hoops For Heart
- Find grant opportunities for recreational programs for individuals with disabilities
- Find recognition opportunities for adapted PE such as the Teacher of the Year award
- Watch this video for teaching students with visual impairments
- Download SHAPE America's Adapted Physical Education Resource Manual
Are you ready to become an active school champion? Say "Count Me In" and share a tip on social media in support of 50 Million Strong!