SHAPE America in association with the United States Coaching Education Coalition (USOC, NCAA, NFHS, NSCA and SHAPE America) is pleased to announce that it will host the 2014 National Coaching Conference. The conference will be held at the Hilton Crystal City in Arlington, VA June 18–20, 2014. The National Coaching Conference is the Coalition's opportunity to bring together the foremost leaders in sport to convoke dialogue related to the education and development of coaches at all levels of competition and expertise. The goals of the 2014 National Coaching Conference include:
- Bring in top speakers, coaches, researchers, and administrators to share their knowledge in formal presentations, breakout sessions, and dynamic panels.
- Provide coaches, coach educators, sports scientists, and high performance directors/administrators with the chance to network, talk, discuss, and debate issues and ideas with their colleagues.
- Celebrate the profession of coaching and recognizing great coaches at all levels of sport.
- Encourage attendees to implement the National Standards for Sport Coaches (NASPE, 2006) at their institutions of higher learning and/or sport programs, etc.
- Empower attendees to implement best practices learned at the conference and continue to seek, share, and implement ideas and programs throughout the year.
The theme for the 2014 National Coaching Conference is Long-Term Coach Development. Coaching skills are developed over time through, among other things, engaging in the sport environment, working with other coaches, formal education experiences, and the use of reflection. Therefore, a framework for long-term coach development is necessary. This conference will aid in moving coaching education in the United States in that direction.