February is American Heart Month
Eating healthy and engaging in physical activity are the hallmarks of a healthy heart! In honor of American Heart Month, SHAPE America is proud to share these brand-new lifesaving resources for cardiac emergencies at school, as well as practical tips to create an engaging heart-health celebration!
Implement a Cardiac Emergency Response Plan in Your School
Sudden cardiac arrest is the leading cause of death in young athletes and can also strike children participating in routine school and sports activities. Would you know how to respond if a cardiac emergency happened at your school? A prompt response can save a life!
Exercise the Heart School-Wide
Planning a special Heart Month school assembly or event for your class? Choose from SHAPE America's collection of fun and free cardio-focused physical activities and heart-themed ideas.
Each activity includes the objective, grade level, necessary equipment and the standards met.
- Artery Tag - Elementary
- Understanding Heart Rate - Secondary
- Cause and Effect Cardio - Adapted
- New! Dance Your Heart Out - Adapted
- New! Aquatic Tabata Fitness - Adapted
- New! Risky Business - Elementary
- New! Amazing Heart Facts - Elementary
- New! Jump Rope for Heart Honor Hearts - Elementary
- New! Battleship - Elementary
- New! Roll the Dice Workout - Secondary
- Heart Health Assessment - Elementary
- Heart Squeeze - Secondary
- New! Making My Plate Great - Secondary
- Do you have a heart-focused lesson or activity to share with other teachers? Learn how you can win a "heart-health swag bag" when you upload your idea through the Activity Share feature of our signature Teacher's Toolbox. We'll be sure to feature your activities right here on our Heart Month page!
- Check out our special February heart-themed physical activity calendar full of instant activity ideas to share with family, friends and colleagues.
- Not a member? Access archived calendars!
- Share your favorite activity ideas and tips and success stories for Heart Month using #SHAPEHeartMonth
Support Healthy Hearts All Year Through JRFH/HFH
As part of our commitment to empower all children to lead healthy and active lives through effective health and physical education programs, SHAPE America is proud to be a longtime co-sponsor of the Jump Rope For Heart/Hoops For Heart (JRFH/HFH) programs!These programs:
- Engage students in physical activity
- Empower kids to improve their own health
- Raise awareness of heart disease and stroke
- Directly support our professions at the state and national level
More about the program and tips for your event: