SHAPE America advances and disseminates research in physical activity and health through the Research Council. The spectrum of discipline areas includes: biomechanics, dance, exercise physiology and fitness, health, leisure and recreation, measurement and evaluation, motor behavior, pedagogy, physical activity epidemiology, psychology, sociocultural aspects of physical activity, special populations, sport management and administration and sports medicine.
- Publishes the online Researchers' Toolkit that provides information and resources on planning, conducting and disseminating research in physical activity and health.
- Promotes scholarship as an integral component through the Fellow Program
- Offers grants to fund member projects of value to the SHAPE America professions
- Features the Distinguished Lecture Series as a highlight at the SHAPE America national convention
- Publishes Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport , thepeer-reviewed journal across the entire spectrum of exercise and sport science