Coordinating an Event
Jump Rope For Heart and Hoops For Heart events are conducted in school by physical education instructors, coaches or teachers. They can be scheduled whenever it's most convenient-during physical education class, lunch or before or after school. Once you register your school with the American Heart Association, you'll receive an event kit with everything you need to conduct a successful event.
Planning Your Event
- Allow adequate time for organization
- Start 6-8 weeks before your event.
- Meet your Youth Market Director
- Determine a timeline for events and activities.
- Announce the date and location using a "Save the Date" for your JRFH or HFH event. Make sure there are no conflicting events or school fundraisers.
Set Up Online Fundraising
- Learn how to use and customize your school's page using the AHA online portal.
- Use incentives to encourage students to participate like the Super Pups (Link to Student Incentives).
- Demonstrate signing up for the AHA online fundraising account and email to students. There are lesson plans and fundraising worksheets to help.
Kickoff Your Event
- Distribute fundraising envelopes and show the DVD that you received from AHA after signing up for an event.
- Send home parent letters and directions for use of the online fundraising pages.
Promote Your Event
Promote the educational value of the event. Use posters, save the dates, and the website to educate students about heart disease and stroke, the purpose for doing a JRFH/HFH event, and how their participation helps to fight heart disease and stroke in their area. You can find templates for students to celebrate making a difference below:
|"I'm a Heart Hero"||JRFH||HFH|
Host Your JRFH or HFH Event
- Send out a reminder about your event to the school and ask for stuff and parent volunteers to help.
- Involve teachers and classes by integrating the JRFH or HFH programs into all areas of the school curriculum.
- Finalize all the logistics including music, equipment needed, stations, and volunteers. Find JRFH and HFH ideas for your event.
Wrap Up Your Event
- One week before the event, remind students to bring in their collection envelopes on or before the event date. It may take a few days to everyone to turn theirs in.
- Thank all students, staff, faculty, parents, and anyone else that helped with the event.
- Follow through on any rewards or incentives for participating.
- Helpful forms to help wrap up your event below:
|Additional Money and Gift Order Form||JRFH||HFH|
Check out the AHA's step-by-step guide on hosting a Jump Rope For Heart or Hoops For Heart event here.