Quality Physical Education
SHAPE America believes that every student in our nation's schools, from PK-12, should have the opportunity to participate in quality physical education.
The Four Components of a High-quality Physical Education Program
- Opportunity to Learn
- Meaningful Content
- Appropriate Instruction
- Student and Program Assessment
Why is Quality Physical Education Important?
Quality physical education programs help all students develop:
- health-related fitness,
- physical competence,
- cognitive understanding,
- positive attitudes about physical activity
so that they can adopt healthy and physically active lifestyles.
Tools for Observing Quality Physical Education
Are the children in your family and community receiving high quality physical education? Visit your school(s) and use the following tools and information to assess the quality of the physical education program.
- Why Children Need Physical Education
- What are the key components of a quality physical education program?
- Physical Education Trends in Our Nation's Schools-A Survey of Practicing K-12
Physical Education Teachers
For Use By Principals:
- Physical Education Teacher Evaluation Tool
- The Difference Between Physical Education and Physical Activity
- Read and print position statements that describe and support quality physical education, recess, after-school physical activity programs, and interscholastic and youth sports including: What Constitutes a Highly Qualified Physical Education Teacher?
Learning Experiences that Meet Developmental Needs.
Quality physical education programs provide learning experiences that improve mental alertness, academic performance, and readiness and enthusiasm for learning in our nations' youth.