The Honor Awards are bestowed annually for meritorious service by members of SHAPE America and to the professions represented. The awards recognize contributions on the part of members of the association in two membership categories: "college and university" and "non-college and university." A maximum of two awards may be presented in each category in a given year. The Honor Award was established in 1931.
The recipient(s) shall:
- Currently be a member of SHAPE America.
- Have served professionally in the college or university setting for a period of at least ten (10) years prior to nomination.
- Candidates nominated in the "non-college and university" category shall have served professionally in school (pre-school, elementary, secondary), or community programs for a period of at least ten years prior to nomination.
- Be at least 35 years of age as of October 15 of the year of nomination submission and shall have preparation in one or more areas of professional concern of the association.
- Be a person of personal integrity who exemplifies the spirit of devoted service to the professions and who has made an outstanding and noteworthy contribution to the advancement of health, physical education, recreation, or dance.
- Present evidence of successful experience in the following categories of service: offices/leadership, committee work, writing/research, speaking, teaching, coaching, performing, supervising and directing