National Dance Standards Grades 9-12
High school students need to continue to dance in order to develop their ability to communicate in a way that is different from the written or spoken word, or even from other visual or auditory symbol systems. They also need to respect their bodies and to understand that dance is the product of intentional and intelligent physical actions. Continued development of movement skills and creative and critical thinking skills in dance is important regardless of whether students intend a dance career.
Purchase the National Standards for Dance Education here.
- Identifying and demonstrating movement elements and skills in performing dance
- Understanding choreographic principles, processes, and structures
- Understanding dance as a way to create and communicate meaning
- Applying and demonstrating critical and creative thinking skills in dance
- Demonstrating and understanding dance in various cultures and historical periods
- Making connections between dance and healthful living
- Making connections between dance and other disciplines
Read the entire National Dance Standards here.