Young Professional Award
The Young Professional Award recognizes a younger member who has demonstrated outstanding potential in teaching, scholarship and service. The recipient shall have demonstrated a quality of performance that, if continued, indicates he/she will develop into a distinguished member of the profession.
Application deadline extended to October 15
Candidates shall have maintained membership for a minimum of five years with SHAPE America and shall have been in the profession for no more than 10 years.
Candidates shall have exhibited a devotion to the advancement of health, physical education, recreation and dance, and displayed service to the profession. The following are some illustrations of contributions and it is expected that applicants will have contributed in at least two of the following areas.
Teaching (also includes Coaching, Performing, Supervising and Directing)
- Contributor to clinics, workshops and state or local health, physical education, recreation and dance conferences;
- Promoter of programs in any of the areas of health, physical education, recreation and/or dance at any educational level;
- Contributor to the profession whose work has affected its philosophy or practice;
- Demonstrator of effective teaching or athletic coaching.
- Systematic researcher, who has helped to advance the profession;
- Author of journal articles on the subject of health, physical education, recreation and/or dance;
- Creator of productions in dance, synchronized swimming, etc.;
- Recipient of scholarships, fellowships, grant monies, or monetary awards.
- Office holder or committee worker of SHAPE America, Midwest District, state affiliate, and/or affiliated organizations;
- Speaker or clinician before educational groups, at conventions, assemblies and meetings held in the interest and for the promotion of health, physical education, recreation and dance.
Application Deadline: September 15
Submit all required materials to Tammy Brant, Midwest District Awards Committee Chair.
Selection and Recognition Process
The Midwest District Awards Committee will select one Young Professional Award recipient from the applications and present the nominee to the Midwest District Leadership Council for approval. The recipient will be notified by October 1 and presented with the award at his/her state affiliate conference.
The Midwest Young Professional Award recipient is encouraged to complete a SHAPE America Mabel Lee Award application (including letters of recommendation from SHAPE America members and a publicity form) by the national deadline of October 15.
Questions? Contact Tammy Brant, Midwest District Awards Committee Chair.