Northwest District Honor Award
Any SHAPE America member who resides in Northwest District may nominate candidates for the Honor Award. The Honor Award is the highest recognition Northwest District can bestow on an individual who is clearly outstanding in his/her profession with long and distinguished service to health, physical education, recreation, dance, and/or sport.
The award can be given annually at a Northwest District-sponsored/co-sponsored conference or workshop, or at the state conference of the candidate (usually August-October of each year).
Candidate Application Deadline:
SHAPE America Membership
The nominee shall have been a member of SHAPE America for a minimum of 10 continuous years, including the year he/she is considered for the award.
Ethical behavior consistent with the accepted ideals of the profession.
Candidates shall display distinctive leadership, meritorious service to the profession, and satisfy five or more of the following conditions. The following are some illustrations of meritorious contributions in the areas of service to the profession, teaching, coaching and/or authorship, research or other creative contributions.
Service to profession:
- Office holder of SHAPE America;
- Office holder of Northwest District;
- Office holder of a state affiliate;
- Office holder of an affiliated organization of SHAPE America or the American School Health Association, or the American College of Sports Medicine;
- Chair of a SHAPE America committee;
- Chair of a Northwest District committee;
- Committee worker over a period of three or more years with a state, district or national organization, either in SHAPE America or affiliated organizations;
- Speaker or clinician before educational groups, at conventions, assemblies and meetings held in the interest of and for the promotion of heath, physical education, recreation and dance.
- An outstanding contributor to clinics, workshops and state or local health, physical education, recreation and dance conferences;
- Promoter of outstanding programs in any of the various areas of health, physical education, recreation and/or dance at any educational level;
- An outstanding contributor to the profession whose work has affected its philosophy or practice, not included in the above;
- Demonstrator of outstanding teaching or athletic coaching;
- Recipient of awards for teaching or administration of programs.
- Systematic researcher, which has helped to advance the profession;
- Author or co-author of one or more books in health, physical education, recreation, dance and/or sport;
- Author of articles on the subject of health, physical education, recreation and/or dance in magazines of national scope published in monograph form;
- Creator of unique productions in dance, synchronized swimming, etc.;
- Recipient of scholarships, fellowships, grant monies or monetary awards.
Nomination and Application Process
- Nominator submits nomination form by February 1 to the District Awards Chair;
- Awards Chair contacts candidates by February 7.
Candidate submits application materials listed below by March 1:
- Honor Award candidate application form;
- Written documentation (typed, 12-point font, double-spaced) demonstrating compliance with the award qualifications (resumes or vitae not accepted);
- Two current letters of recommendation, with at least one from candidate's administrator or colleague. The letter should be directly related to the award qualifications providing a biographical sketch outlining the contributions of the applicant and how those contributions are deserving of recognition;
- A photo.