Louisiana State Affiliate News
Updated May 2018
The 2017 LAHPERD annual convention was held in Baton Rouge, November 1-3. Chip Candy was the pre-convention workshop presenter. Bill Phillips with the Louisiana Tennis Association presented an afternoon tennis pre-convention workshop. The LAHPERD convention was attended by 425 people and there were 70 sessions. LSU Head Baseball Coach Paul Mainieri was the keynote speaker at our general session, and Milton Wilder extended greetings from Southern District.
In looking ahead to LAHPERD’s 2018 convention, President Susan Gremillion’s theme will be "Power of 1." This theme means we are challenging ourselves, our board and our membership to bring on board one more new member to convention or to become a LAHPERD member.
Past President Bonnie Richardson and Advocacy Chair JiJi Jonas attended SHAPE America’s SPEAK Out! Day on February 14, 2018, in Washington, DC.
LAHPERD was well represented in receiving Southern District awards. Congratulations to the following members:
- Bonnie Richardson – Southern District Elementary Physical Education Teacher of the Year
- Rebecca Acosta – Southern District Dance Education Teacher of the Year
- YuChun “Jean” Chen – Taylor Dodson Young Professional of the Year
- Dustin Horton – SHAPE America Major of the Year Award recognition
- Kelly Simonton – SHAPE America Ruth Abernathy Presidential Scholarship for Graduate Students
For more information, visit lahperd.org.