Special Interest Group Guidelines
SHAPE America will create Special Interest Groups (SIGs)
, allowing members with similar interests to meet, share, and network. Additionally, the SIGs will serve as a resource for SHAPE America regarding questions and issues that arise related to their topical area. They will also support the SHAPE America program councils in the identification and development of new programs, products, and services.
SIGs will be free to conduct their own affairs in support of SHAPE America's vision, mission, and strategic plan, so long as they are in compliance with the policies and procedural requirements established by the Board of Directors.
- Members of each SIG will communicate with each other via Exchange.
Members of each SIG will communicate and collaborate with each of SHAPE America's program councils as individual projects warrant.
Each SIG will have an opportunity to share information related to their specific interest with the full membership through publication of an article in Momentum.
Each SIG will be assigned a staff liaison from SHAPE America headquarters.
SHAPE America members will self-select the SIGS in which they participate by identifying their interest(s) in their membership profiles. Members can select or de-select SIGs at anytime through the membership app or the SHAPE America website.
Each SIG will select a Leadership Team consisting of a past-chair, current chair, and chair-elect. Each Leadership Team will strive to have representation from higher education and PK-12 education systems. They will also strive to represent all parts of the United States and reflect the diversity in the field.
The term for each member of the Leadership Team will be two years, starting at the end of the national convention in which they were selected and ending at the end of the national convention two years later.
Leadership Team Selection Process
The selection procedure will consist of the SIG leadership team application form and vetting process for new team members.
1. The SIG application form will be posted on the SHAPE America website & Exchange. Applications must be submitted by October 15.
2. Applications will be sorted by staff and provided to appropriate SIG Leadership Teams.
3. SIG team members will select a new chair-elect for their respective SIG.
4. The names of new chair-elects will be announced on Exchange and in Momentum.
- Maintain an up-to-date written purpose statement consistent with SHAPE America's mission statement for approval by the SHAPE America Board.
Maintain fifty (50) current members of the SIG.
Communicate with SIG members a minimum of four (4) times a year via Online Community post.
Solicit, organize and coordinate award processes and projects
Solicit nominations for new open leadership positions.
Be available for a tri-annual call and submit reports two times per year to their assigned SHAPE America staff liaisons.
SHAPE America Responsibilities
To support SIGs throughout the year SHAPE America staff supports the SIG Officers as they perform the duties of their office. This support includes, but is not limited to the following requirements:
- Act as the liaison with each SIG Chair and provide
staff support to the SIG activities.
- Establish and maintain continuous communication vehicles for each SIG.
Post SIG information to the SIG webpage as needed throughout the year.
- Conduct three SIG Chair conference calls throughout the year.
Facilitate information sharing between SHAPE America and SIG leaders throughout the year.
Distribute, as directed, SIG information to SIG members.