Emerging Leaders Innovation Team (ELIT)
SHAPE America is excited to announce a call for applications for the inaugural Emerging Leaders Innovation Team (ELIT). The Emerging Leaders Innovation Team will have a very clear goal: to help SHAPE America strengthen its recruitment, retention, and engagement of emerging leaders who are currently young professionals teaching (or preparing to teach) physical education and/or skills-based health education.
Members of the Emerging Leaders Innovation Team play a key role in helping develop content, shape organizational strategy, plan events, and build a strong SHAPE America network of emerging leaders from across the country by the development of project-based volunteer opportunities.
The inaugural ELIT task force is:
SHAPE America ELIT members:
- Are SHAPE America members between the ages of 18 and 40;
- Are students or have taught at least one year of PE or skills-based health in a PreK-12 setting; and
- Have demonstrated a commitment to improving the physical and health education teaching community.
The Emerging Leaders Innovation Team provides guidance to the SHAPE America national staff and board of directors regarding young professionals in the field by:
- Developing Project-Based Volunteerism opportunities, serving as drivers and approvers of PBV projects.
- Advising SHAPE America on methods of engaging students and young professionals
- Advising SHAPE America on the membership recruitment and retention of students and young professionals
- Aiding in the development of content and/or contributing content to SHAPE America publications and online resources geared toward the needs of young professionals
- Providing feedback and contributing to the development of resources and tracks for professional development and hosting events for young professionals at SHAPE America’s National Convention and Regional Conferences.
- As an ELIT member, you will play a valuable role in shaping SHAPE America’s strategy for engaging young professionals!
Committees Roles, and Responsibilities
The SHAPE America ELIT can appoint a committee to help with special projects or emerging needs within SHAPE America that impact the member demographic of 18-40. Each committee is led by a Committee Chair. The role of the Chair is to:
- Work closely with SHAPE America to guide the work of the committee
- Communicate with SHAPE America, the ELIT, and other committee chairs about the work of the committee
- Schedule meetings and set agenda items
SPEAK OUT Day!
ELIT members are invited to join colleagues from across the country, new and experienced, in becoming more informed, engaged, connected, and effective advocates for physical and skills-based health education in schools!
- Hear from and network with national and state policy leaders
- Get resources and experience in becoming an effective advocate
- Meet with members of Congress and build relationships
- Share their important perspective as emerging leaders in the field
National Convention and Regional Conferences
ELIT members join physical education and skills-based health teachers from around the globe to connect, collaborate, and learn together.
Members of ELIT will work with SHAPE America staff to develop a focused Emerging Leaders track, comprised of sessions that are of particular interest to students, young professionals, or beginners in the field.
Members of ELIT will also connect with other ELIT members at the ELIT social and networking event, which is planned by ELIT members.
- Members serve two-year terms in the group.
- Expectation of 5–10 hours per month on SHAPE America projects
- One hour per month on SHAPE America calls or video chat