Essential Components of Physical Education
Receive your personal Physical Education Program Checklist
as well as goals for improvement in your program!
This FREE interactive 3-hour course will guide you through an overview of each of the Essential Components of Physical Education. This self-paced course will show how the Essential Components of Physical Education play a key role within the context of a well-rounded education, identify the critical policies and practices that make up the essential components, and allow participants to reflect on their own physical education program through critical thinking tasks and engagement activities.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Understand physical education in the context of the Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child (WSCC) model and a Comprehensive School Physical Activity Program (CSPAP).
- Explain the role of the Essential Components of Physical Education and how the components support effective physical education programs.
- Identify policy language that creates an environment that ensures all students receive effective physical education.
- Discuss appropriate instructional practices that support inclusive physical education.
- Identify key resources for supporting written, standards-based physical education curriculum.
- Explain the importance and types of appropriate student assessments.
- Identify strengths and opportunities of your own physical education program.
Developed by SHAPE America through Cooperative Agreement CDC-RFA-DP16-1601 with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).