As schools continue to prioritize social and emotional learning (SEL), health and physical educators must intentionally integrate SEL in their teaching practice.
SHAPE America’s all-new professional learning experience (PLE) was created to help you with that process. The four-module program combines high-quality professional development with enrollment in a private professional learning community (PLC).
Through this professional learning experience, you will explore each of the SEL competencies and learn how to teach them in a K-12 skills-based health education classroom. The program’s content is based on the text Teaching Social and Emotional Learning in Health Education by Mary Connolly.
The Teaching SEL in Health Education professional learning experience includes four modules designed to provide you with the understanding and pedagogical practices needed to implement SEL-aligned instruction in your own classes.
The program will be held over the course of four months — August through November 2023 — giving you time for practice, reflection, and interaction with your peers. Each module includes:
- Self-guided study through chapter readings and assignments
- Recorded video instruction (earn one SHAPE America Contact Hour per video)
- Connection, collaboration, and engagement in the private PLC
- Live Zoom instruction with Mary Connolly, textbook author, and renowned health education scholar
This PLE is the perfect solution if you want to learn more than you would in a standard webinar but don’t have time to commit to an extensive online course.
- Complete the self-guided study component (for each module) at a time and place that works best for you.
- Gain support and perspective from peers across the country … not just within your school district.
- Learn directly from the expert who literally “wrote the book” on teaching SEL in skills-based health education.