Special Interest Groups
SHAPE America’s Special Interest Groups (SIGs) provide members with similar interests and/or professional specialties the opportunity to stay current on key areas in health and physical education and to contribute in various ways to the SHAPE America community.
SHAPE America members are eligible to participate in various SIGs (at no extra cost) to:
- Stay current on the latest trends in a field of interest;
- Connect with members through Exchange, SHAPE America's members-only online community; and
- Facilitate networking opportunities, including during SHAPE America's National Convention & Expo.
Physical Activity Council
- Education-Based Employee Wellness
Physical Education Council
- Adapted Physical Education & Physical Activity
Professional Preparation Council
- College and University Instructional PA Programs
- Curriculum & Instruction
Two SHAPE America SIGs function independently with staff support from SHAPE America:
- Health & PE State Departments of Education and School District Leaders
- National Board Certified Teachers
To join a SIG, log in to your SHAPE America member account. Go into the My Profile section and select the Interest Areas tab to view/edit your Special Interest Groups.
UPDATE: SHAPE America makes structural changes to Special Interest Groups (SIGs).
SHAPE America extends its deepest gratitude to those who have contributed time and effort in leading our Special Interest Groups (SIGs) over the years. The highly respected and esteemed leaders who have been a part of the SIGs have contributed in many ways to ensure we are serving the HPE community and connecting those who have shared interests or concerns.
Starting in fall 2021, SHAPE America is implementing a new structure whereby the majority of SIGs will now function as branches of relevant Program Councils. This change was made in recognition of the fact that SHAPE America was lacking in opportunities to nurture possibilities for SIGs to collaborate with each other or with our Councils. Having SIGs function as branches of relevant Councils will ensure more connection between the work of the SIGs within the greater leadership community.
SIGs will still have the same opportunities they do now to facilitate networking opportunities at the national convention and to contribute to the content pipeline at SHAPE America, but the planning of how SIGs contribute will be coordinated with the chair of a relevant Program Council, which will ensure closer alignment to SHAPE America’s Strategic Direction as well as more opportunities to collaborate.
- The Measurement and Evaluation SIG and the CSPAP Research SIG will now function as branches of the Research Council.
- The Curriculum and Instruction SIG and Student SIG and CU IPAP SIG will now function as a branch of the Professional Preparation Council.
- The Adapted Physical Education SIG will now function as a branch of the Physical Education Council.
- The Employee Wellness SIG will now function as a branch of the Physical Activity Council.
- The HPE State and District Coordinators SIG and the NBCT SIG will continue to function as they always have, with staff support from Audra Walters, Senior Manager of Healthy Schools at SHAPE America.
- Given that SHAPE America now has an EDI Committee, members of the Diversity and Inclusion SIG are encouraged to consider applying to serve in this group and/or be more directly connected with the work of the committee.
- SHAPE America will continue to host a reception for retired HPE professionals at the national convention each year and will welcome engagement by the retired professional community at any time.
The office of the CEO will continue to host regular monthly meetings with Program Council chairs, who will provide updates on activity within the SIGs and who will include these updates in regular board reports submitted. Likewise, SHAPE America Board Program Council liaisons will continue to attend respective Program Council meetings to learn more about each Council’s work and the efforts of relevant SIGs.
Please send any questions regarding this update in the SHAPE America SIG Structure to [email protected].