Revising the National Standards
SHAPE America has begun the process of revising the National Standards and Grade-Level Outcomes for K-12 Physical Education. Below you will find information and opportunities to engage in the revision process.
PE Standards Task Force Updates
The National PE Standards Task Force will provide updates on the progress of their work. If you have any questions or would like to provide feedback/input please contact Michelle Carter, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Updates as of June 23, 2021
The National Physical Education Standards Task Force has been meeting on a weekly basis since March 23, 2021. The task force has been specifically interested in gaining the perspective of PETE faculty/professors, preK-12 practitioners and preK-12 students through the use of town halls and surveys. There was a lot of feedback specific to the Grade-Level Outcomes. The Student Voice Survey ended June 15 and collected over 4,600 responses. The task force spent some time looking over and discussing the responses and feedback from these stakeholders to help inform their thinking.
Additionally, the task force has been really focused on what is the purpose or goal of physical education, now and in the future. There have been many philosophical discussions and activities to really narrow down and hone in on key concepts. The task force looked at standards from other content areas and other countries including New Zealand and Australia.
National Physical Education Standards Task Force
- Sally Jones, PhD, Chair, Physical Education/Adapted Physical Education Consultant, NC Department of Instruction
- Amanda Amtmanis, M. Ed., Physical Education Teacher, Middletown Public Schools
- Brad Brummel, M. Ed., Coordinator of Physical Education, Health & Engagement Activities, Springfield Public Schools
- Langston Clark, PhD, Associate Professor, University of Texas at San Antonio
- Fran Cleland, P.E.D., Professor, Westchester University
- Kelly Cornett, MS, Health Scientist, Centers for Disease Control & Prevention
- Dan DeJager, MS, NBCT, Physical Education Teacher, San Juan Unified School District
- Suzanna Dillon, PhD, CAPE, Associate Professor, Texas Woman's University
- Cory Dixon, PhD, Assistant Professor, Rowan University
- Robert Doan, PhD, Assistant Dean / Associate Professor, Charleston Southern University
- Jonathan Jones, MS, Physical Education Resource Teacher, Prince George's County Public Schools
- LaDonda Porter, MS, Physical Education Teacher, Fayette County Public Schools