School Health Education Teacher Education
Professional preparation programs that offer specialization in health education/health promotion may apply for CAEP Program Review with National Recognition.
Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) accredits teacher preparation programs. SHAPE America is the CAEP Specialized Professional Association (SPA) for health education, and as such, SHAPE America develops the guidelines for health education teacher education.
2008 Initial Health Education Teacher Education Standards
Programs seeking recognition through CAEP/SHAPE America must use the 2008 Initial HETE standards. SHAPE America is working to revise these standards.
2017 Initial Health Education Teacher Education Standards
Highlights of Timeline for Developing the Standards
- March 2015 – First meeting with HETE Standards Revision Task Force
- September 2015 – First draft completed for public review
- October 2015 – Opportunities for public feedback and consensus
- Standards draft distributed in an online survey via Survey Monkey
- Poster Presentation at American School Health Association (ASHA)
- Presentation at SHAPE America PETE & HETE Conference
- March 2016 – Second draft completed, including revisions based on public comment and Survey Monkey results
- March - April 2016 – Opportunities for public feedback and consensus
- Second draft distributed in an online survey via Survey Monkey
- Presentation at SHAPE America National Convention & Expo
- July 2016 – Final draft completed for submission to CAEP, including revisions based on public comment and Survey Monkey results
- October 2016 – Received motion from CAEP Standards Advisory Committee
- November 2016 – Resubmitted standards to CAEP, incorporating feedback from the advisory committee
- Revised rubrics
- Updated standards language to more thoroughly encompass corresponding components
- Increased language in standards and components to enhance the cross-cutting themes of diversity and technology
- November 2016 – Received motion from CAEP Standards Advisory Committee approving the standards with the condition to further strengthen rubrics
- December 2016 – Standards conditionally approved by CAEP Board of Directors
- February 2017 – Completed updates to Rubrics
- Final edits to rubrics prior to resubmission to CAEP
- February 2017 – Outlined plans for developing the publication of the National HETE Standards
- June 2017 – Resubmitted rubrics to CAEP, incorporating feedback from the advisory committee
- February 2018 – Received motion from CAEP Standards Advisory Committee with full approval of the standards
- The 2018 National Standards for Initial Health Education Teacher Education will be available on this webpage in April.
- The new standards will be ready for the SPA to review Health Education programs seeking National Recognition starting June 2018.
Initial HETE Standards Revision Task Force
|Kelly M. Boyd (Chair)
||East Stroudsburg University
|Mary C. Connolly
||Plymouth State University
||Milwaukee Public Schools