Barbara A. Cooley Master’s Scholarship
The award is a $1,000 scholarship awarded annually to a master's level student. Recipients may spend the award in any manner they desire. Recipients will also receive a one-year complimentary student membership in SHAPE America. The application materials must be received by October 15
. The recipient will be notified by January 15.
- The award is open to a master's level student who is currently enrolled in a health education program at an accredited college/university in the United States or a U.S. territory.
- To be eligible, the applicant must have a minimum current overall grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale at the SHAPE America application deadline. Prior SHAPE America scholarship recipients are not eligible.
Complete the online application form and the application materials listed below, which must be received by October 15 of each year. The application and accompanying documents must be typed, double-spaced, in a 12-point font. At the end of the online application submission, you will be asked to directly attach each of the required application materials. Incomplete submissions will not be reviewed.
The online application form includes the following sections:
- Attach a current curriculum vitae. Use the following format (please present the material in reverse chronological order where applicable)
Attach a narrative three-part essay that includes your philosophy of health education, your professional goals, and your assessment of current and future issues in health education. The maximum length for this narrative is three double-spaced pages with a 12-point font. Include sub-titles for each of the three areas (Philosophy, Professional Goals, Issues).
Two letters of recommendation submitted by professional individuals in the academic major, which address academic status, leadership potential, and career commitment. Letters should be from the applicant's adviser and a professor within the major. Details on submission after application.
Attach a current official transcript PDF from the institution granting the most recent degree and any coursework that fulfills requirements for the current degree program.
- Personal information
- Current program and institution
- Degrees earned, name of institutions and year of graduation
- Employment experience and dates of employment
- Professional presentations: title, date and location of presentation
- Professional publications
- Professional memberships
- Professional committee involvement
- Voluntary community service activities
- Any other extra-curricular or professional activities
(Please have all application materials finalized before completing the online application.)
For Applicant Adviser/Professor
Letter of Recommendation