Revising the National Standards
SHAPE America is pleased to share that we, along with our partners in the health education field, are officially in the beginning stages of revising the National Health Education Standards (NHES). SHAPE America acquired the copyright to the NHES from the American Cancer Society in late 2020.
Revision Task Force
One of the first steps in this process is collecting recommendations for task force members who will guide the revision process.
We would sincerely appreciate your recommendations for colleagues you feel would be highly qualified and willing to serve on this critical task force ... or you can even put yourself forward for consideration. Please keep in mind that serving on the task force will be a 2- to 2.5-year commitment.
As you begin to consider individuals with expertise in the field of K-12 school health education who you might recommend, please keep in mind that we are striving for a mix of task force members who:
- Are diverse on multiple levels (e.g., urban/suburban/rural school environments, geographic location, school size, student population served), but especially in terms of race and ethnicity;
- Have deep content knowledge and/or a strong research background in school health education;
- Teach at the university and K-12 levels;
- Work at state departments of education and who serve as school district curriculum supervisors;
- Have expertise in social justice & equity, diversity and inclusion.
You can either share this link with individuals you feel would be a good fit for the task force or use the Submit Nomination button below. The nomination form asks interested individuals to upload their curriculum vitae.
Task force submissions are now closed.
SHAPE America will review all recommendations and present a suggested final roster to the SHAPE America Board of Directors and our partner organizations in this work. We will then reach out to individuals to inquire about their willingness to serve. The task force is anticipated to begin working in July 2021.