Donor Privacy Statement
The types of information SHAPE America collects and maintains are:
- Contact information: name, address, telephone number and email address
- Giving information
- Information on events attended, publications received and special requests for program information
- Information provided by the donor in the form of comments and suggestions
The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) requires SHAPE America to keep donor information on file for seven years.
We use this information to understand our donors’ interests in SHAPE America’s mission and to update them on our plans and activities. All information concerning donors will be shared only with staff, board members, and consultants, including legal counsel and accountants, on a need-to-know basis. It will be kept strictly confidential unless permission is granted by the donors, or in the case of an estate, the Personal Representative, except to the extent that SHAPE America is required to release such information by law.
SHAPE America will use donor contact information (e-mail, telephone number and mailing address) for these purposes only:
- Send receipts for donations
- Thank donors for their donation(s)
- Inform donors about upcoming fundraising and other activities of SHAPE America
- Internal analysis and record keeping
- Reporting to relevant U.S. and State agencies (these reports are not for public inspection)
- Contact donors about changes to this policy
SHAPE America uses reputable and proven online payment processing services. SHAPE America does not store, nor does it have access to, your credit card information, bank account numbers, or other account data sent to those processing services.
SHAPE America does not sell, rent, or lease its donors’ information to other organizations.
SHAPE America offers opportunities for donors to be recognized publicly in association with their gift level; however, all donors are given the opportunity to remain anonymous and to decline public and/or private recognition.
If you have questions about this Donor Privacy Statement or if you wish to be removed from our donor recognition lists, then please email firstname.lastname@example.org or write to:
Attn: Strategic Partnerships, Social Impact & Education
P.O. Box 225
Annapolis Junction, MD 20701
Donor Bill of Rights
SHAPE America subscribes to the Donor Bill of Rights.
Philanthropy is based on voluntary action for the common good. It is a tradition of giving and sharing that is primary to the quality of life. To assure that philanthropy merits the respect and trust of the general public, and that donors and prospective donors can have full confidence in the not-for-profit organizations and causes they are asked to support, we declare that all donors have these rights:
- To be informed of the organization’s mission, of the way the organization intends to use donated resources, and of its capacity to use donations effectively for their intended purposes.
- To be informed of the identity of those serving on the organization’s governing board, and to expect the board to exercise prudent judgement in its stewardship responsibilities.
- To have access to the organization’s most recent financial statements.
- To be assured their gifts will be used for the purposes for which they were given.
- To receive appropriate acknowledgement and recognition.
- To be assured that information about their donations is handled with respect and with confidentiality to the extent provided by law.
- To expect that all relationships with individuals representing organizations of interest to the donor will be professional in nature.
- To be informed whether those seeking donations are volunteers, employees of the organization or hired solicitors.
- To have the opportunity for their names to be deleted from mailing lists that an organization may intend to share.
- To feel free to ask questions when making a donation and to receive prompt, truthful and forthright answers.
The text of this statement in its entirety was developed by the American Association of Fund-Raising Counsel (AAFRC), Association for Healthcare Philanthropy (AHP), Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE), and the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP), and adopted in November 1993.