Strategies receives all manuscript submissions
electronically via its ScholarOne Manuscripts site. ScholarOne Manuscripts
allows for rapid submission of original and revised manuscripts, and
facilitates the review process and internal communication between authors, editors,
and reviewers via a web-based platform. For technical support, contact ScholarOne technical
support. If you have any other requests, please contact Laura E. Strecker, Editor, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
should be double-spaced on 8-1/2x11 paper. Page and line number, if possible.
Title page should include name, professional title, mailing address, phone, fax
and email. To ensure blind review, do not include this information on
text pages. Limit your article to approximately 10–12 pages. Prepare a cover
letter stating that your manuscript has not been previously published and/or is
not being considered for publication elsewhere.
All manuscripts must be properly blinded in order to be sent out for review. In
order to properly blind a manuscript, please consider and adhere to the
not list any information that might give away your identity as the author
(e.g., your name, school or institution name, state and city names, contact
information, etc.). This information must be either deleted (and added later,
in the final version), concealed (by replacing it with the word [concealed] in
brackets so people know there is a name there that was hidden), or replaced
with a vague description (for example, "In
one university program" or "In a school in
preparing the manuscript for submission through the online system, authors are
given the chance to create a cover page that contains name, affiliation, and
contact information, but will not be included in the document sent out to
- In the case of references of which you are the
author, it is recommended to conceal or remove them entirely (authors can
replace references in text with the parenthesis [Concealed reference] and
simply delete those references from the reference list). Again, these can be restored in the final
version if and when the manuscript is accepted for publication.
writing articles for Strategies, authors should consider that the
journal's goal is to provide information to physical educators and coaches that
will assist them in their daily work. We look for articles that identify a
problem and offer concrete, step-by-step solutions, or describe "best
practices" for typical coach/teacher activities or responsibilities. Strategies
does not publish research studies or theoretical treatment of topics, but does
welcome manuscripts that explain how research or theory can be applied or put
into practice. Authors are encouraged to review recent issues of Strategies
for content and format before submitting, or contact the editor for further
in an informal, conversational and straightforward tone, and minimize formal or
technical language. Ideas should be clear, concise and logical. Avoid the use
of first-person language where possible, rather use third person throughout. Give
practical examples, and when appropriate, include photos, tables or charts to
illustrate your ideas. Have a colleague review your article for content and
clarity of presentation before you submit it for consideration.
Abstracts: Authors should include an abstract of
250 words or less.
References: Check all references;authors are responsible
for accuracy. Printed references are preferred over web references. For
reference style, follow the Publication Manual of the American Psychological
Association (6th ed.).
welcomes photos for publication. Digital
files should follow these
guidelines: (1) 300 dpi or higher; (2) EPS,
TIFF, or JPEG format only; and (3) submitted as separate files, not embedded in
text files. Releases must be obtained from individuals appearing in photos.
Manuscript Tracking Policy
will be reviewed by experts and professionals related to the particular
subject. All accepted articles are subject to editing by the editorial
will acknowledge receipt of manuscripts by email.
will receive manuscript acceptance, revision or rejection letters, in
around 8-12 weeks. Authors asked to revise have a six-month period to
will send a formal acceptance letter to all authors whose manuscripts have been
accepted for publication.
will select publication dates for all manuscripts based on an established
editorial calendar. Authors will be notified in advance, and edited manuscripts
will be submitted to authors for comments prior to publication.
authors receive one complimentary copy of the issue that contains their
Submitting to Standing Columns
also accepts submissions to standing columns: Advocacy in Action, Theory into
Practice and the Educator's Corner.
- Advocacy in Action provides tangible, real world examples of grassroots and national level advocacy activities taking place in the fields of physical education, health education and physical activity. The journal is particularly interested in firsthand accounts of successful advocacy initiatives that have national relevance to the SHAPE America community. Submissions should be written in conversational, practical tone and between 1,000-1,300 words, or roughly four typed, double-spaced pages. Submissions should be sent to column editor K. Andrew R. Richards at email@example.com. For a full archive of previous columns can be found at Advocacy in Action.
- Theory into Practice distills high quality research into understandable and succinct information and identifies key resources to help teachers and coaches improve professional practice and provide high quality programs. Each column (1,000-1,300 words or roughly four typed, double-spaced pages) summarizes research findings about a timely topic to enable practitioners to apply research, knowledge and evidence-based practice in physical education and sports. Submissions should be sent to column editor Anthony Parish at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Educator's Corner features short articles about one specific, practical teaching lesson that practitioners at the K-12 level can immediately implement in their classroom. Articles focus on either health or physical education and contain a brief introduction, followed by very practical, quick-hitting information such as bullet points or lists. Submissions should not exceed 1,000-1,300 words (or roughly four typed, double-spaced pages) and should be sent to Strategies Managing Editor Laura Strecker at email@example.com.
- Coaches’ Corner features short articles about one specific, coaching lesson that readers can immediately implement with their team. Articles should contain a brief introduction, followed by quick-hitting information such as bullet points or lists. Submissions should not exceed 1,000-1,500 words (or roughly four typed, double-spaced pages) and should be sent to Strategies Managing Editor Laura Strecker at firstname.lastname@example.org.